Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bones: part deuce

I realize I’ve only been blogging about food for a few months and there is no reason for a second blog on any restaurant this early on, but it’s just so good I can’t help myself!

Saturday night was date night and Kyle, my husband, wanted to try Bones, the restaurant I recently raved about. My rant worked on him, because three days before we went, he knew what he was ordering. It was a beautiful night and we sat on the patio. The place was packed and people were pouring in all night. (I’d advise reservations specifically for more comfortable chairs.)

We started with two appetizers, the steamed buns with pork belly and the lightly fried shishito peppers. We had previously has Shishito peppers and loved them. They are a mini, mild pepper from Japan that is slowly becoming popular at boutique restaurants in town. If you see them on a menu, they are great, nearly zero spice and can be almost sweet. The menu said lightly fried, and I’d say more like pan seared. They were a perfect little start. Pork Belly happens to be Kyle’s new favorite thing and I am trying to venture out of my “I don’t like pork” box. A top a small rectangular plate, were three, mini taco shell shaped, steamed buns with shredded pork belly. I’d never had a steamed bun before, and had no idea what to expect. I believe they are of Chinese origin and are commonly stuffed with meat. The bun is almost spongy to the touch and after taking a bite, I’d say chewy, like not cooked all the way dough. Always fun to try something new!

For the main course Kyle ordered the Udon which are large, dare I say, worm like, noodles, accompanied with roasted pork and a poached egg. He loved it! I was my usual self and ordered what I knew I loved, the Ramen. I just could past up the noodles decorated with lobster, edamame and a buttery lobster miso broth. DELICIOUS!

The “FINISH” is Frank’s soft serve ice cream. The flavors of the night were Honey Nut Cherrios, Nutella or twist. I have a love for hazelnut and couldn’t pass up Nutella ice cream. It was awesome, and surprisingly light. Kyle had a twist in a cone which was gone quickly, obviously a good choice

You’ve got to try this place….

No comments:

Post a Comment